As was previously announced on the mailing list, the terms of Benjamin Rubin and Jussi Schultink on the Ubuntu IRC Council are coming to an end. There is currently an open call for nominations to fill these spots. All nominations must be submitted no later than 23:59:59 UTC on Sunday, November 7, 2010 to email@example.com (private mailing list). The requirements for serving on the council are as follows:
- Ubuntu membership (Essential)
- Be able to demonstrate a competent technical knowledge of IRC.
- Be able to demonstrate a passion and desire for IRC and maintaining effective governance of our IRC community.
- Be familiar of the expectations listed in this charter and commit to executing them as part of the IRC Council
If elected, you will have the opportunity to serve on the council with a group of great people. Currently, the following people make up the Ubuntu IRC Council: Benjamin Rubin (term ending), Juha Siltala, Jussi Schultink (term ending), Nathan Handler, and Terence Simpson. As a member of the council, you would be responsible for several important duties in the IRC community including:
- Appointing or recalling IRC operators or determining criteria by which they are appointed.
- Resolving disputes between IRC operators
- With advice, feedback, and help from the IRC operators, maintaining the IRC Guidelines and associated infrastructure.
- Community Bug Reporting – the IRC Council should encourage the community to file issues using the Community Bug Process at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingCommunityProblems – this provides a good snapshot of where people feel there are problems in the community.
- Regular IRC Meetings – at least one public real-time IRC meeting per month with a public request for agenda items. They should have an Agenda wiki page to handle this process. The community can add agenda items and they are discussed and decided upon.
- Reporting – meeting notes and outcomes should be published using the TeamReports framework at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TeamReports
The IRC Council has a lot of work to get done during the next 2 years, so if you are up for the challenge and meet the requirements, we would love to have you join the council.
Remember, there is only slightly over 1 week remaining in the nomination stage, so if you are interested, please do not hesitate in sending in your nomination.
If you have any questions about the nomination process or about serving on the IRC Council, please feel free to contact either myself or another member of the council; we would be glad to answer any questions you might have.